You are not alone, Barry. Many of us live life out of the mainstream in various ways. And we make our peace with it (I write this as my one cat warms its behind on my computer router). And I once rescued a very sick baby squirrel who ruled my house for about 8 months, much to the dismay of my dogs. Have also raised baby rabbits (also rescued) in a city apartment in my bathtub (until I could release them in the country, where I kept my horse).

I had a plumber once come to some work and he brought his young son. His son stared, open-mouthed, at my bookshelves with books and bones and butterflies, and exclaimed, "this is just like a museum!"

Point taken.