Once we were all around the table, eating dinner, when the girl, then in her mid-teens, gave a sharp intake of breath, pointed a trembling finger up at a corner of the room and said, “There’s a spider up there!”

Without looking I said, “Yes, I know, but if you just ignore her she’ll be fine.”

Blank stares and surprised looks all around.

The mom, my love interest, is now used to this and even gets a bit into it, and dutifully reports her sightings of hawks and owls, and feeds the squirrels who come to the back door (she balks at handing them the peanut, as I do), even giving them names but her friends and colleagues still see me as rather strange.

Once, when we went to a staff party, I was sternly told, “Now Barry, you can talk about anything you like, except no politics, no religion (I’m agnostic at best), no science (she meant things like evolution vs creationism), or stuff like that.”

Since I know little to nothing about sports, popular entertainment, food, or cars, there wasn’t much left.  The weather, even among Canadians, only goes so far.

I got a strange look when I invited HER to one of MY gatherings.   I was asked if we’d be dancing or playing games or whatever, and I said no.

“What do you do?”

“Mostly talk.”

Sigh…another strange look.

BUT, she went, and enjoyed herself and continues to do so….talking’s okay, it turns out, even about politics, religion, science and stuff like that.

But once, very early in our relationship (I had known her for years, but she was married, and it was only after her widowhood that we linked up…I knew and liked her late husband) she was at the house when…well…let’s put it this way.  I was struggling with something and finally turned to her and said, “Here, hold this, but exactly as I am and  don’t get it anywhere near your eyes.”

“This” was a full-grown Double-crested Cormorant.   She gamely did so, but let me know it was not a highlight of her life.

Barry

(PS….the cormorant had run into some problems, yes, but was ultimately successfully rehabbed back to the wild; and a new book is due about that species, to be published by Yale University Press and illustrated by….yep….)