I love this thread. It makes me smile and chuckle to myself. Again, I'm very thankful that I know others that experience the same awkward moments, and revel in the small, but surely successful education that others experience.

It makes me ask myself, where did I get my education from?  What made me into this inquisitive person, where did I get over my indoctrinated fear of snakes and all things called pests and vermin? My upbringing was Southern Belle. A "Lady" didn't need an opinion of your own, you were going to be a high-school art teacher (the highest accomplishment imagined from a East Texas town) (think Sheldon Cooper's mom), and you were pigeon-holed into a "style" of person, not an individual.  And what girl needed science?
I did come with a tom-boy sense of out door play, splashing in the creek and climbing trees. I think outdoor play is valuable. My dad and mom took me to see the western states National Parks, and we did stop to look at beaver dams and moose and mountain vistas, but not from a scientific view, dad liked photography and I think they were aesthetically pleasing to him. So I grew up at least looking out at natural world, if not actually in the midst of it.

But the main event in my life was when I went away, to a small state college - a teacher's college. There I rubbed elbows with different cultures, different opinions, ideas, and it was life-altering. After a Master's degree, I found birds. I knew I could draw anything I looked at, but I had no idea what was concealed under that cloak of feathers on the large hawks that sat on the telephone poles.  The light bulb went off, I can draw, I like animals, why don't I draw animals? That was a self-discovery, no one forced me into it. I found people who liked birds, birders. There was the sense of adventure, the hunt, the getting up at dawn, smelling invigorating fresh air, mucking through marshes and getting all muddy. I went back to school and studied biology and ornithology. I was driven for my own interest, not someone else's, in what went on under the cloak. This began my association with birding tours, and met my husband who was a renown in the field and a marvelous naturalist. We traveled worldwide, worked hard, and the world opened up. So did my philosophy and my tolerance of other ideas, people and culture. I don't think I would have achieved that just on my own.

My point is that by developing friends and colleagues who encourage us, we stretch out. By our actions, others will see that there are other ways to live life, and hopefully they will be encouraged to think for themselves and open their eyes. I was amazed and a little shocked, when Robert Bateman gave a talk in Vancouver, BC, he quoted a statistic that nowadays young people spend seven hours a day in front of electronics. What? How can that be? Since then I have heard other studies that support that number. He asked the audience to "Take a child into Nature". Take a cousin, nephew or niece, or neighbor kid, for a 30 minute walk in a natural environment.  A city park with steam, or a prairie field. Absolutely no phones, no texting, leave them at home. (Take their parents too, but the same rules apply.) And not teach or preach, but just be there when they have questions. Let them discover, let them be curious, and the effort will be rewarded, perhaps not immediately. But possibly like Barry's spider on the wall; leave it alone, let it live, it lives here. Any exposure to a positive experience in nature will be noticed. It may take the "creepy" aspect away. We are scared of what we don't know.

I agree that we don't have to lecture "ordinary" people to introduce ideas, they see by our actions that other worlds exist. That can be huge.
We have family that hasn't come out to AZ perhaps our stories of lizards, snakes, tarantulas, and bears may be enough to discourage them. Maybe some day, tho. ... we will always be the "weird ones" to some.

Linda M. Feltner Artist, LLC
P.O. Box 325
Hereford, AZ 85615
(520) 803-0538