there are aboriginal rights for citizens of a sovereign nation.  Best to always have your Native American tribal document on you though.


On Jan 18, 2014, at 2:26 PM, Linda Feltner <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

As I understand it, it's not entirely legal
..It' entirely illegal. The gov't rules forbid any keeping of birds, feathers, bones, nests, etc. The exception used to be with several introduced species, the Rock Dove, Starling, and English Sparrow. They by now, may include some cowbirds, but am not sure on that one. I think the rule that everything is covered by the law, is a way to not be wishy-washy over fine points or exceptions, it covers it all. And of course, you mentioned those that are hunted with a permit. 

I can store and transport dead birds and mammals for a Natural History Museum, under the permits of the Museum, with written permission. I think it's hard for a regular citizen to obtain permits, but there are rehabilitators that work under the umbrella of permitted ones. You might contact your local museum, or friends involved in research. 

When I transport them, I have a non-stop flight. I pack the frozen specimens in a small a box as I can, pack those frozen gel packs in and amongst them, seal the box in two layers of plastic, completely tape it, and tape a letter on top with permit information on Museum letterhead. I also carry a copy of the letter in my purse.  They always always look inside, but have never opened the box.  I check it in my checked luggage. If it's lost, I don't want it back. 

Linda M. Feltner Artist, LLC
P.O. Box 325
Hereford, AZ 85615
(520) 803-0538

On Jan 18, 2014, at 12:11 PM, Natalya Zahn wrote:

All these fascinating "Rabbit Hole" stories have inspired a question:

Since Holly mentioned donating a barred owl to a state park after she "rescued" it's body from the grill of a car - does anyone have any experience trying to obtain a permit to keep these found specimens? As I understand it, it's not entirely legal to have the bodies of wildlife in one's freezer - or even long dead, dried artifacts around the house - unless they were hunted during an official season and you paid for the license to do so. However, knowing many friends involved in the academic sciences, there are "research permits" that they regularly obtain in order to collect specimens while traveling (those specimens obviously should end up in a lab or official archive somewhere, butů). Anyone know if there is a similar type of research permit for people in our profession? I don't feel like I'm in immediate danger of being found out by my local fish and wildlife department, but I also would prefer to operate within the rules. Just curious.



Need to leave or subscribe to the Sciart-L listserv? Follow the instructions at


Need to leave or subscribe to the Sciart-L listserv? Follow the instructions at