there are aboriginal rights for citizens of a sovereign nation.  Best to always have your Native American tribal document on you though.

Chris

On Jan 18, 2014, at 2:26 PM, Linda Feltner <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

As I understand it, it's not entirely legal
..It' entirely illegal. The gov't rules forbid any keeping of birds, feathers, bones, nests, etc. The exception used to be with several introduced species, the Rock Dove, Starling, and English Sparrow. They by now, may include some cowbirds, but am not sure on that one. I think the rule that everything is covered by the law, is a way to not be wishy-washy over fine points or exceptions, it covers it all. And of course, you mentioned those that are hunted with a permit.

I can store and transport dead birds and mammals for a Natural History Museum, under the permits of the Museum, with written permission. I think it's hard for a regular citizen to obtain permits, but there are rehabilitators that work under the umbrella of permitted ones. You might contact your local museum, or friends involved in research.

When I transport them, I have a non-stop flight. I pack the frozen specimens in a small a box as I can, pack those frozen gel packs in and amongst them, seal the box in two layers of plastic, completely tape it, and tape a letter on top with permit information on Museum letterhead. I also carry a copy of the letter in my purse.  They always always look inside, but have never opened the box.  I check it in my checked luggage. If it's lost, I don't want it back.

Cheers,
Lind
Linda M. Feltner Artist, LLC
P.O. Box 325