I've been on a long winter break from teaching but I've apparently been further out of the loop than I thought, as I just found out through a Daniel Smith person that kolinsky sable brushes are now banned from the US, due to some kerfuffle with Russia, China, and us, he thought.  So when I'm sending my students to pick up a DaVinci Maestro #3, they aren't there.  And they're "out of stock" on the various art supply websites.  Has anyone been following this (the DS guy said he thought that initially it was believed to be a temporary issue but has apparently turned into a possibly permanent condition) and have any additional information?  And suggestions for "legal" non-kolinsky sable brushes they've found adequate?
Kathy M.
360-297-8858
www.florawithfauna.wordpress.com (my website with galleries, info, classes, etc.)
www.science-art.com (portfolio site for Guild of Natural Science Illustrators)