I got this message from a friend who works with the state of AZ as a bird rehabilitator.

To the best of my knowledge, there is no classification of "pest" species in the Migratory Bird
Treaty Act.   You can legally keep feathers from any species that may be kept domestically (legally),
hunted species, and non-natives, i.e. rock doves, starlings, house sparrows.  Otherwise you MUST
have a permit for any species covered by the Migratory Bird Treaty Act.  For body parts, this is a
"salvage" permit.  Being an illustrator may or may not qualify one for possessing these feathers or body parts.  If they go to FWS.gov they can find out more details, or they may call their permits administrator in their USFWS region.

Hope this helps,
L.

Linda M. Feltner Artist, LLC
P.O. Box 325