And thanks Barry for further info on CITES. It seems odd that the animal is
not farmed. I have to admit that thinking about using a brush made from
just the tail hairs of a wild animal gives me pause.... I would suppose
though that the rest of the hairs are used in non premium brushes. But
still ....

On Mon, Jan 20, 2014 at 11:56 AM, Kathleen Garness
<[log in to unmask]>wrote:

> Thanks for researching this Lore! :)
>
> Kathy G
>
> On Jan 20, 2014, at 9:30 AM, Lore Ruttan wrote:
>
> OK, my curiousity got going. Here's what I learned this morning. The
> species in question is Mustela siberica. It has two common common names;
> the Kolinksy, and the Siberian Weasel. The finest brushes are made from the
> hairs of from the tip of the tail of a male in winter coat! Now we know why
> Winsor Newton brushes are so expensive!
>
> Why all the kerfuffle? It's an issue related to paperwork that tracks
> place of origin. The US doesn't like the paperwork that the Europeans use
> (go figure!). Here is the text from a Dick Blick FB post.
>
> "The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service has begun requiring specific
> certification of certain products and is closely regulating the
> distribution, importation, and exportation of natural hair brushes that may
> have been made from endangered species. According to the National Art
> Materials Trade Association (NAMTA) “Trade in kolinsky hair is managed by
> the provisions set out in the Convention on International Trade in
> Endangered Species (CITES). Kolinsky hair comes from the species called
> mustela siberica. It is important to know that this is NOT AN ENDANGERED
> SPECIES, but because of a seldom used provision in CITES, trade in kolinsky
> hair requires CITES documentation.”
>
> One of these requirements is documentation of the country of origin of the
> hair being used in the brush. Many of the major brush brands are
> manufactured in Europe, which follows different regulations and necessary
> documentation. While these companies and the European CITES are claiming
> that their version is comparative and valid, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife
> Service has started refusing to allow brushes which do not come with the
> forms they consider to be valid from entering or leaving the United States.
>
> Art material retailers, brush manufacturers, and art material vendors,
> with the help of NAMTA are working to come to an agreement with the Fish
> and Wildlife Services and CITES to help ensure that the necessary
> information and documentation can be made provided to them so that natural
> hair brushes can again become easily available to the artists who rely on
> them."

> instructions at

*Lore Ruttan, *Ph.D.

Lore Ruttan Illustration <http://www.loreruttanillustration.com>