Barry,

The "vegan watercolors" sound interesting. Since watercolors are generally made of pigment and gum arabic (plant-derived), sometimes honey, and sometimes a fungicide such as thymol (don't know if formaldehyde is still used)… there are no animal-derived ingredients unless you are looking at the pigment itself. Most are either plant or mineral, sometimes a chemical reaction or precipitate… with the exception of a few pigments like bone black (lamp black being a good substitute), Indian yellow (which used to be derived from the urine of cows fed on saffron, I think; but this is no longer the case), vermillion made from cochineal beetles, and a few others.

One way to know what you have is to make your own watercolors (which a friend of mine does, and says they are creamier and richer than any commercial watercolors he's used).

It does get difficult to avoid animal products when you need things like rabbit skin glue (for gesso for egg tempera), and of course the eggs for egg tempera. And as just mentioned, sable brushes. I've yet to find a good synthetic brush substitute. The synthetic brushes I've used are find at the start, but I can wear one out in an afternoon. Small detail sable brushes can last me a year of hard use. Then there are paper sizes… I imagine that acrylic sizes are used often now (and I don't like the feel at all), and prefer gelatin sizes… which gets us back into animal-derived products. Casein (milk-derived), which makes a nice ground for silverpoint.

Would love to hear more about this from you. Are you looking at a specific brand? Or are you making your own? And if you're making your own, what binder(s) are you using? Fungicide (if any)?