Hi Emily,
                 Is it a 32 bit vs 64 bit or a missing Twain plugin problem? I use a Windows machine. When I upgraded to CS6 I had to install a plugin from Photoshop to allow me to scan the way you describe but it only works on 32 bit systems. Once your system is 64 bit you lose all that wonderful functionality. I see on the net that the CS6 Twain plugin will work on Photoshop CC but only on 32 bit systems.
http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1245120
I see a reply on that page that says "I prefer Vuescan mainly because it does not place Photoshop on hold while scanning and it works with 64 bit Photoshop." The poster then gives the link to the Twain plugin for CS6. Hope that helps.
Cheers,
Geoff