Woo Hoooo! This is fabulous.  The link worked for me just a couple minutes ago; shared on Facebook. Awesome Earth indeed!  Thank you for your sharing gift.

“OC"

On Jan 21, 2014, at 11:21 PM, Barbara Harmon <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Too bad about the link... I am sure there are more out there on youtube or elsewhere ...  I'm glad to have this group who you can always count on to agree when it comes to the many many fascinations of nature. Thanks Annie!

On Jan 21, 2014, at 10:54 PM, Anne Runyon wrote:

Barb, I think maybe your link has been shared too many times! It stops and is hard to watch in its entirety.
However, I had seen it before and WOW! It is beautiful.
Like you, I pause to watch the flocking birds in my town, and the schooling fish in the sound when I am there.
I am not so interested in the mathematical calculations as in the social dynamics and beauty of these purposeful dancers.
Best,  Annie

From: [log in to unmask]" href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Barbara Harmon
Sent: Tuesday, January 21, 2014 7:35 PM
To: [log in to unmask]" href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [SCIART] (TAN) " down the rabbit hole" Stories

Hi all,

A friend sent me this link below. I know everyone can appreciate this and probably most of you have probably seen (and appreciated) this phenomenon.
Anyone can correct me if I'm wrong in my statements below.... I'd love to know what advancements have been made in regard to relating schooling, flocking and herding behaviors to mathematics and science.

As I said to her: (I am pasting in here)

One of my favorite things of all time... When in grad school I learned that scientists/mathematicians have related  - or mapped - them to algorithms... There is a point with schooling/flocking organisms (fish and birds, but even herding mammals... as on African plains) where they school/flock/herd according to predictable laws - they act as a single species rather than numbers of one.
It is amazing.
150-200 yrs ago this sort of phenomenon could be seen much more readily, as you would expect. Have you ever seen starlings or blackbirds do this?  I have!! In smaller scale of course... I have looked overhead ..in parking lots .. in my back yard... while driving... in revelry!... I look around, while all the other humans are pushing their shopping carts, unaware.

....While I say HOLY MOLY!!!  AWESOME EARTH!!!  S

Shoot, does the list support links? Can't recall.
Barb