I didn't have a chance to follow this thread til just now but WOW thanks for sharing the vid.

- Lore

On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 8:18 AM, Barbara Harmon <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Also learned from the Cornell blog that apparently (at least with Starlings) the birds are consistently coordinating with their seven nearest neighbors. But beyond that they are still somehow able to coordinate with other birds all the way across the flock... and they use the term “effective perceptive range" for this.
And as you said Barry, they are typically exhibiting this behavior in avoidance of a predator.