On a somewhat different take but having to do with avian intelligence…

My young Moluccan cockatoo, Boo, was playing on the top of his cage and something happened outside in front of my house that startled him. He flew towards the back of the house and landed on my dog's bed. My dog, Willy, was horrendously abused so could be unpredictable and he took off after Boo. This happened in a split second… Boo turned, stood firmly and fluffed himself up (to look big) and screamed "NO!". Willy stopped in his tracks. Everybody got a kiss on the head and Boo was returned safely to his cage.

I should also say, that I raise cockatoos much like they would be raised in a wild flock (where they stay with their parents for the first year or so), and they sleep with me for the first few years. So I slept with a dachshund on each side of me and a baby cockatoo on my chest. So the dogs were used to the birds and being near them… it was the sudden adrenaline rush that could make Willy unpredictable.

One more story…
I would sit with Peaches, my elder Moluccan cockatoo, also badly abused (almost murdered), and I'd tell him stories. I always made it a point to smile and be positive. He started an odd behavior… he would lean in close to my face (a little daunting with that beak!) and he'd squint his eyes at me. He did this repeatedly. I do believe he was smiling (kind of like being in the operating room and reading everyone's expressions above their surgical masks). I'm nearsighted so I tend to look at things up close, and so the leaning in was in imitation of that, I think.

Oh and just one more…
Boo will start singing (badly, kind of like a 5 yr old in the bathtub) when he sees me take out my guitar. Interestingly, I don't sing when I play guitar (I play instrumental pieces). He's put together singing with the idea of guitar music and goes from there and is quite the performer.

They are very bright and silly and emotional creatures. While life in captivity is far from ideal, I do the best I can to give them a safe and happy home.