Phone: (07) 38969508

From: SciArt-L Discussion List-for Natural Science Illustration-
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Karen Ackoff
Sent: Thursday, 23 January 2014 3:10 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [SCIART] (TAN) " down the rabbit hole" Stories

On a somewhat different take but having to do with avian intelligence...

My young Moluccan cockatoo, Boo, was playing on the top of his cage and
something happened outside in front of my house that startled him. He
flew towards the back of the house and landed on my dog's bed. My dog,
Willy, was horrendously abused so could be unpredictable and he took off
after Boo. This happened in a split second... Boo turned, stood firmly
and fluffed himself up (to look big) and screamed "NO!". Willy stopped
in his tracks. Everybody got a kiss on the head and Boo was returned
safely to his cage.

I should also say, that I raise cockatoos much like they would be raised
in a wild flock (where they stay with their parents for the first year
or so), and they sleep with me for the first few years. So I slept with
a dachshund on each side of me and a baby cockatoo on my chest. So the
dogs were used to the birds and being near them... it was the sudden
adrenaline rush that could make Willy unpredictable.

One more story...

I would sit with Peaches, my elder Moluccan cockatoo, also badly abused
(almost murdered), and I'd tell him stories. I always made it a point to
smile and be positive. He started an odd behavior... he would lean in
close to my face (a little daunting with that beak!) and he'd squint his
eyes at me. He did this repeatedly. I do believe he was smiling (kind of
like being in the operating room and reading everyone's expressions
above their surgical masks). I'm nearsighted so I tend to look at things
up close, and so the leaning in was in imitation of that, I think.

Oh and just one more...

Boo will start singing (badly, kind of like a 5 yr old in the bathtub)
when he sees me take out my guitar. Interestingly, I don't sing when I
play guitar (I play instrumental pieces). He's put together singing with
the idea of guitar music and goes from there and is quite the performer.

They are very bright and silly and emotional creatures. While life in
captivity is far from ideal, I do the best I can to give them a safe and
happy home.

On Jan 22, 2014, at 12:17 PM, Barry K. MacKay <[log in to unmask]>