Hi Mali,

Victoria Finlay's book on pigments is one of my all time favorite books. Just fascinating! You mention you have other interesting books on the topic? I would love the references please!

Thanks, Lore

On Sun, Jan 26, 2014 at 10:09 PM, mali moir <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Hi Karen,
I thought Indian Yellow claimed to be made from the urine of cows fed solely on mango leaves, a practise the Indian Government banned in the early 1900s. However I just read an update to my knowledge ...  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_yellow
I love pigment manufacture history and have a couple of great books on it.

I am sorry to say I am not a vegan artist, however I abide by the philosophy of 'using the whole animal'. I paint on vellum from the leather industry, I buy sable brushes from the fur industry, eggs, honey, milk, gelatine ... if these industries were to vanish I would certainly find alternative materials. I do have a particular concern about the plastics industry and I try to avoid using plastic generally .... a very hard ask indeed !
Yes would love to know more about the vegan watercolour

........ Mali

Mali Moir
Botanical, Scientific & Natural History Artist
Melbourne Australia
Tel: 0422 575 034
mali_moir@hotmail.com

Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2014 08:10:42 -0500
From: [log in to unmask]

Subject: Re: [SCIART] sable brushes
To: [log in to unmask]

The company, a Canadian one (or at least with a Canadian outlet) called Colors of Nature, recently contacted Animal Alliance of Canada, of which I’m a director, asking for an endorsement.   I always thought of watercolours as being mostly vegan, but the concept of supporting a product that is overtly vegan has an obvious appeal for an organization like ours, so I tried to get a sample from them, but couldn’t get the webpage they set up to work for me (it has a space for asking for samples).   So my colleague who they first approached is trying to get the sample for me to test.

On their webpage they only show a small range of colours, so I’m not really sure what they have (this all in the last couple of days and I’ve been too busy to pursue it myself).

No, I don’t make my own paints and I don’t use egg tempera nor rabbit skin glue…no need for my methods.  I have used casein but don’t like it, and haven’t actually bought any in decades, however, I have never done silver-point.   I do like the new “open” acrylics…not only because of their slower drying property, but for their texture.

Cheers,

Barry

Barry Kent MacKay

Bird Artist, Illustrator