Hi Patricia,

I don't have a lot of experience with this method but I'll be eagerly watching to see what others say - I discovered carbon dust during a workshop just a few years ago (after having never heard of it before) and was blown away - SUCH a unique and deliciously elegant technique… so perfect for rendering bone…

I put a little post up on my blog of one of the pieces I finished shortly after taking the workshop:
http://www.iheartungulates.com/2012/07/carbon-dust-redux-phacochoerus-africanus.html

I just used a basic Strathmore drawing paper, which did impart a subtle patterned texture, but if I did another involved piece I'd look for something more smooth. I'm curious if anyone has brush suggestions as well?

Best of luck with your class, Patricia!

-Natalya