I have been experimenting with Strathmore plate finish and 500 regular surface, Essdee, Arches 300 hot and cold press, bond paper and unnamed colored pastel paper. By far, I prefer the cold press. Love the texture and gorgeous, deep, dark, rich, velvety black. Can't really scratch it out though. Will try the illustration board you suggest as well. Is the white paint the brand name?

Please, any additional information you want to send my way would be lovely!

Patricia Savage
Mayapple Studio

Sent from my iPad