I don't work on a Mac, so I'm not too familiar with fixes for it. However I know that one time I boosted the Photoshop RAM, and it basically made things worse because there was not enough RAM left allocated for the basic computer sys to function properly. So I would be carefully with that. Also, try to check if there is anything running in the background that isn't necessarily visible to you. Something that might run when you boot your computer (i.e something that might have sneaked in on an install you might have done recently). I don't know if you can check that sort of things? I hope a few Mac savvy people can help you with this.
Good luck,
Aurore

Aurore Simonnet - Scientific Illustrator
NASA EPO - Sonoma State University
http://epo.sonoma.edu