I'm gonna throw out a crazy question - why not take this opportunity to ditch Microsoft and switch to Apple's office suite, iWork (Numbers, Pages and Keynote)? I know Microsoft Office has become somewhat of a standard, but the alternative is plenty compatible, and in my opinion looks and works MUCH better. (I honestly think Office persists "because we've always done it that way" - NOT because it's user-friendly or superior in any way) Yes, this would be one more thing to disrupt your workflow and learn, but software updates pretty much always end up happening at the worst possible time… and compared to your design software, iWork is a deal at under $100.

Not to make light of your troubles Linda - I have been in similar situations as you more times than I care to remember, and you have my complete sympathy. I hope you're able to resolve all of the things impeding your productivity in as timely a manner as possible - but I also hope your workstation benefits from the efforts and that you're feeling much more positive in a week!

Best of luck,
-Natalya