It actually refers to the discs. Typically around 5-6" across, with little
notches around the sides to put the threads in and a hole in the middle for
the braid to hang as you make it.  These are "travel" or "toy" versions, if
you want a lot of braid you really want some kind of stand.

Here is an example from walmart:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Kumihimo-Disk-4.25-Round/32839019

YIS,

Amba