Just in case folks might be interested, here is what I have in the Florilegium on salt, specifically medieval salt. Sometimes cheap, sometimes expensive and that often times didn't depend so much upon its source as how it was taxed/

Today, we usually think of salt mainly as what we use at the table, and perhaps in the winter, as that which is put on the roads to try to eliminate icing. But in period it was very important in food preservation. In some areas, such as Iceland which didn't have much salt, it greatly affected what could be eaten in the winter.

salt-msg (64K) 10/29/11 Medieval salt production and use.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/COMMERCE/salt-msg.html

salt-comm-art (18K) 1/ 9/97 "Salt of the Earth" by Lord Xaviar.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/COMMERCE/salt-comm-art.html

I highly recommend these books for those who would like to learn more about salt in medieval (and modern) times.
Kurlansky, M. (2002) Salt: A World History. New York: Walker & Co

Laszlo, P. (2001) Salt. New York: Columbia University Press

Franz, I've never had the chance to sample multiple salts at the same time. Do you find much difference in the taste? Or is it just color, crystal size etc.?

Stefan

--------
http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris