Here is a good pamphlet on fire safety that might be good to review. While it is in the PENNSIC section of the Florilegium, it applies to most outdoor SCA events.
Fire-Book-art (739K) 12/28/00 Baron Durr's Guide to Safe Fire Use.  (with illustrations by Master Blackfox)
http://www.florilegium.org/files/PENNSIC/Fire-Book/Fire-Book-art.html

Here are a few more files on fire set ups in the SCA-CAMPING section:
firepits-msg (20K) 3/ 3/13 Useful ideas for fire pits.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/CAMPING/firepits-msg.html

DFofH-Firepit-art (8K) 11/17/08 A firepit that sets up large and packs down small by Duke Frederick of Holland.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/CAMPING/DFofH-Firepit-art.html

Stefan

--------
http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris