> I am afraid I do not find this awesome.
>
> It is heavy on bureaucracy, the hoops that the participants have to jump
> through are a serious disincentive to "mentors", and as written could well
> end up with young families coming to their first event, finding out there
> is a cool class being offered for their children's age group, but not
> being allowed to participate because they didn't fill out and print the
> required paperwork.
>
> Not to mention the merit badge "token" system, which does violence to the
> very fabric of the Society as it has been for half a century.

I agree with the learnÚd Mathurin: you want children to join, to stay
around, to participate, the _last_ thing you should do is make things
"official" with official paperwork, officials in charge, official
check-lists. Heck, I got along just fine, and stayed around, back
in the Dark Ages, when to get ahead all I had to was show up, look
interested, and put my arms elbow-deep into hot water, dishes,
and too many books (not at the same time, fortunately). If someone
had wanted me to do the "12 Steps to an Easy AoA", I'd have left
before step 1.

Without any of that, I still maaged to get an AoA. 8 1/2 years later,
admittedly, but that was because of hard work, energy, effort, good
will, grit, determination, 450 gallons of soapy water, and a good friend
in a high place. No paperwork needed. (It kept getting lost, you see...}

Alban