I'm with Mathurin.  This check-list concept doesn't provide for any
interest or drive.  The child doesn't have to be interested or apply
themselves towards learning.  They just have to do well enough to get that
check mark, then move on.  In BSA, I did this because I wanted a sash full
of cool merit badges.  But did I learn anything?  Not much.  Enough to get
the patch.

The way we do it now, encourages the youth to find something they enjoy and
pursue it, learn what they can about it, experiment and have fun with it.
 Instead, this program seems to discourage that by encouraging the youth to
get their check mark and move on so they can get their next check mark in
something else.

Add that to needing a whole new set of 'scout leaders' to govern the
project?  Do we have enough volunteers to do what we do even currently with
the youth without adding more to run this program??  I would encourage more
adults to do more youth classes and youth mentoring in areas where the
youth can really get in to something and grow towards a true Swan, Mallet
or Torse.  Not just this hit-and-run style of learning.

In Service... Arthur Smith (www.facebook.com/arthur.smith)
(SCAka Arthur of Ballan Moor - Baron of Coeur d' Ennui - www.barony-cde.org)

Puppetry: www.PuppetsmithArts.com  -----------------------  Main Website
               www.facebook.com/PuppetsmithArts ----------  Facebook site