I'm with Mathurin.  This check-list concept doesn't provide for any interest or drive.  The child doesn't have to be interested or apply themselves towards learning.  They just have to do well enough to get that check mark, then move on.  In BSA, I did this because I wanted a sash full of cool merit badges.  But did I learn anything?  Not much.  Enough to get the patch.

The way we do it now, encourages the youth to find something they enjoy and pursue it, learn what they can about it, experiment and have fun with it.  Instead, this program seems to discourage that by encouraging the youth to get their check mark and move on so they can get their next check mark in something else.

Add that to needing a whole new set of 'scout leaders' to govern the project?  Do we have enough volunteers to do what we do even currently with the youth without adding more to run this program??  I would encourage more adults to do more youth classes and youth mentoring in areas where the youth can really get in to something and grow towards a true Swan, Mallet or Torse.  Not just this hit-and-run style of learning.

-------------
In Service... Arthur Smith (www.facebook.com/arthur.smith)
(SCAka Arthur of Ballan Moor - Baron of Coeur d' Ennui - www.barony-cde.org)

Puppetry: www.PuppetsmithArts.com  -----------------------  Main Website
               www.facebook.com/PuppetsmithArts ----------  Facebook site
               http://www.etsy.com/shop/PuppetSmithArts - Etsy shop
               http://puppetsmitharts.blogspot.com/  ---------- Blog
               www.facebook.com/MakingPuppets ------------- General Puppet Making site

Ministry:  www.HaveYouNotRead.com

On Tue, Feb 4, 2014 at 4:06 PM, Mathurin Kerbusso <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Scheduled to start in the society summer 2014
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Jan 30, 2014, at 9:31 AM, Eowyth ža Sišend  <[log in to unmask]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> This is awesome!
>> Hmmm... Wonder if I can get my 4 youth equestrian classes from Gulf Wars
>> to be included with this. :)

I am afraid I do not find this awesome.

It is heavy on bureaucracy, the hoops that the participants have to jump
through are a serious disincentive to "mentors", and as written could well
end up with young families coming to their first event, finding out there
is a cool class being offered for their children's age group, but not
being allowed to participate because they didn't fill out and print the
required paperwork.

Not to mention the merit badge "token" system, which does violence to the
very fabric of the Society as it has been for half a century.

--
Mathurin
"Non nobis solum"