/Greetings, GNSI! Time for your late-February edition of GNSI In The
News. I would call it the Early Spring edition, welcoming mild
temperatures and gentle, replenishing rains, but sadly, no...not yet! So
rather than throwing darts at the TV weather folks, visit YOUR GNSI
website <http://www.gnsi.org/> for the latest news!/

      EXHIBIT CALL

*GNSI Members Exhibit Deadline Is fast approaching!
<http://www.gnsi.org/node/7334>*
Get those entries in by March 1st! This is a wonderful opportunity to
display your best work in Boulder.

*Call For Exhibit: /Fourth Coast Illuminated/
<http://www.gnsi.org/event/exhibit-call/call-exhibit-fourth-coast-illuminated>
Submission Deadline:* March 21, 2014
*Acceptance Notifications Sent:* April 5 - 7
*Delivery Of Accepted Work:* June 23 - 27
*Exhibit Dates:* July 1 - August 30, 2014. [Kalamazoo Nature Center will
be hosting the Association of Nature Center Administrators annual Summit
August 20-23.]
*Exhibit Location:* Kalamazoo Nature Center's Glen Vista Gallery,
Kalamazoo, MI.
*Eligibility:* Open to all current GNSI members living in Michigan,
Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New York,
and Ontario.
*Subjects:* Plants, animals, habitats, landscapes, natural &
archaeological artifacts of the Great Lakes region.

This is an invitation to GNSI members living in states and provinces
bordering the Great Lakes to submit entries to Fourth Coast Illuminated,
an exhibition of art featuring flora, fauna, and archaeological
artifacts of the region.

The exhibit will be on display at the Kalamazoo Nature Center in its
Glen Vista Gallery July 1 - August 30, 2014 . Kalamazoo Nature Center is
one of the most highly regarded nature centers in the country and is
considered a leader in the field. Their Glen Vista Gallery is large,
well-lit, and free from visual distraction. As a bonus, the KNC will
host the Association of Nature Center Administrators' annual Summit
during the exhibit, providing an interested and appreciative audience.

Exhibitors will have the opportunity to present workshops and/or public
talks during the exhibit's run. Artists may elect to sell their work.

      Blog

*Hunt Institute Request to Botanical Artists
<http://www.gnsi.org/blog/hunt-institute-request-botanical-artists>*
As part of a multi-year photography initiative, the Hunt Institute for
Botanical Documentation is working to photograph their entire Art
collection...Because this is a use not covered in the original donation
or purchase agreement prior to 2010, the Hunt would like to contact all
living artists (or their heirs) who have work in their collection to
request permission to include thumbnail images in our database. ../read
more.../

      Events

*GNSI-DC: 18th and 19th Century Wax Anatomical Models
<https://www.gnsi.org/event/meeting/gnsi-dc-18th-and-19th-century-wax-anatomical-models>*
*Event Date:* Tuesday, March 18, 2014; 5:30pm 8:00pm
*Location:* Smithsonian Natural History Museum, 10th St. & Constitution
Ave., Washington, DC., Cooper Room (2rd Floor, East Wing)

Please join us for a GNSI-DC meeting on Tuesday, March 18th for a
presentation given by medical illustrator Marie Dauenheimer. This
illustrated presentation will examine the art and history of the wax
anatomical models of the Museo Zoologico La Specola in Florence, Italy.
The museum's Wax Modeling Workshop created over 2,000 wax models of
human anatomy from the mid-18th to early 19th century, and the products
of their labor are considered by many to be the finest anatomical
waxworks in the world.../read more.../

      Workshops

*AAS Scientific Illustration Course 2014 at QRanch Young, Arizona
<http://www.gnsi.org/event/workshop/aas-scientific-illustration-course-2014>*
*Event Date:* June 14 - 20, 2014

The Workshop is taught by Dr. John W. Hohmann and Bryan Donahue,
professional artist and scientific illustrator. Students will learn the
importance and value of scientific illustration and have the opportunity
to illustrate artifacts and cultural features from Q Ranch....

*Artist-In-Residence Program, Southeast Oregon
<http://www.gnsi.org/event/workshop/artist-residence-program-southeast-oregon>*
*Event Date:* April 1, 2014 - May 1, 2014
*Application Deadlines:* March 1, 2014 and September 1, 2014
*Cost:* $25 application fee for individuals ($50 for collaborative
teams) to cover administrative costs.

PLAYA, in south central Oregon, is a retreat for creative individuals
who are committed and passionate about their work and who will benefit
from time spent in a remote location. PLAYA offers seclusion and quiet
in a natural environment and the opportunity for interaction, if
desired, with a cohort of residents and the local rural
community.../read more.../

*Artist Residency At The Huyck Preserve, Summer 2014
<http://www.gnsi.org/event/workshop/artist-residency-huyck-preserve-summer-2014>*
*Application Deadline:* April 14, 2014

The Huyck Preserve is accepting applications for our COM.EN.ART program
for 2014.

COM.EN.ART (COMmunity.ENviroment.ART) is an Artist-in-Residence program
for natural history illustrators offered by the Huyck Preserve, a
biological field station and 2000-acre nature preserve in the
picturesque Hudson Valley hamlet of Rensselaerville, NY. This two-week
residency is designed to provide concentrated field experience and study
for illustrators, as well as encourage interaction and discussion about
nature among artists, with scientists and with the community.... /read
more.../

*Visiting Artist Series: Drawing Birds with Linda Feltner
<http://www.gnsi.org/event/workshop/visiting-artist-series-drawing-birds-linda-feltner>
Event Date:* April 4 - 6, 2014

This workshop will guide, enlighten and inspire the illustrator into the
realm of birds. The foundation of good bird illustration begins with
some anatomy basics ...Sketching and drawing live birds will provide
opportunities to observe form, gesture and behavior..../read more.../

*/Postcards From
<http://www.gnsi.org/event/workshop/postcards-series-plein-air-watercolor-workshop>/Series
- Plein-Air Watercolor Workshop
<http://www.gnsi.org/event/workshop/postcards-series-plein-air-watercolor-workshop>
Event Date: * March 22 - March 23, 2014

The /Postcards From.../ series of watercolor workshops has expanded!

*THE PLEIN-AIR WATERCOLOR PRIMER Date:* March 22 & 23, 2014
*Location:* DC Art Press, 2377 S. Downing St., Denver CO
*Instructors:* Marjorie Leggitt and Leon Loughridge
*Time:* 9 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
Price: $360.00 (includes custom traveling watercolor kit, gourmet lunch)

/This new workshop qualifies as a pre-requisite for the September
POSTCARDS FROM...Aspen multi-day workshop. Priority is given to those
registrants who also place a deposit for the Postcards from Aspen workshop./

This 2-day weekend workshop introduces all the basics to plein air
watercolor painting and, starting this year, is the pre-requisite for
the fabulous 4-day POSTCARDS FROM...Aspen watercolor workshop in
September (please click on this link
<http://www.gnsi.org/event/workshop/postcards-series-aspen-colorado> for
information on the Aspen workshop)... /read more.../

      Forums

*Job Opening Iowa State U - Asst. Professor:
<http://www.gnsi.org/forum/business/job-opening-iowa-state-u-asst-professor>*
Posted in /Business/
Biological/Pre-Medical Illustration/Scientific Visualization
*Application Deadline:* 03/09/2014

*Price the sale of full copyright
<http://www.gnsi.org/forum/business/price-sale-full-copyright>*
Posted in /Business/
I'm a botanical artist and I'm trying to figure out how to price
releasing full copyright (vs. limited use) on a commissioned piece. A
friend suggested you might have some pointers....

*Camera Lucida recommendations
<http://www.gnsi.org/forum/general-discussion/camera-lucida-recommendations>*
Posted in /General Discussion/
I am intersted in getting a camera lucida to attach to my stereo
microscope. I have looked online, but I am not sure if what I have found
will attach to my scope. I would apprecaite any reccomendations of a
specific model or a good source.

That's it for this edition, please check out the GNSI web site often for
updates and news.

Regards,
Gail Guth

--