Greetings, GNSI!

Just like Punxsautawney Phil, we’re taking a peek from our winter dens to see what’s new in GNSI-land...take a few moments and check out the latest news and information on YOUR GNSI website.

GNSI MEMBERS EXHIBIT CALL

2014 Annual Members Exhibit
Venue: University of Colorado Museum of Natural History
Submission Dates: February 1 – March 1, 2014
Exhibit Dates: April 19, 2014 – September 25, 2014

Show off your best work! Get your exhibit entry ready to enter this year’s Members’ Exhibit in Boulder.

BLOGS

STUFF AND THINGS! Open Call for the GNSI Annual Auction
The Annual Auction is an evening event held during the Annual Conference. It consists of a large silent auction and a smaller, but no-less spirited live auction. Everything from original art to extra art supplies to luxury vehicles (hey, why not?) is fair game. Contribute to the fun, clean out your studio, and help support the GNSI!

It is a moth!
The Fall issue of the Journal featured sample art from GNSI members who were accepted into the current Focus On Nature exhibit at the New York State Museum. Mafalda Paivas illustration of a moth was incorrectly identified; here is the correct identification...

2014 Member Exhibit Call
The 2014 Annual Member's Exhibit CALL FOR ENTRIES runs February 1- March 1st.

EVENTS

GNSI-DC: The Art and Science of Data Visualization with Robert Simmon
Event Date:
February 18, 2014 - 5:30pm - 8:00pm
Presentation: Painting by Number: The Art and Science of Data Visualization
Location: Smithsonian Natural History Museum
10th St. & Constitution Ave., Washington, D.C.

Please join us for a presentation given by Robert Simmon, a data visualizer from NASA, who will show us some very unique information graphics and imagery, including that of our home planet.

CONFERENCES

Comics and Medicine Conference 2014- Call for Papers
Event Date:
June 26 - June 28, 2014

The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine Department of Art as Applied to Medicine in collaboration with Graphic Medicine invites papers for the fifth Comics & Medicine conference, a gathering of healthcare professionals, artists, academic scholars, comic enthusiasts, students, and various stakeholder groups.

EXHIBITS

GNSI-DC Chesapeake Science Art Exhibit Call
Event Date: April 1 - May 4, 2014
Location: Garden Gallery, Quiet Waters Park, Annapolis, MD
Eligibility: Open to all current members of GNSI-DC chapter (attended at least one meeting in 2013-2014)

Hunt Institute Exhibit - Duets
Event Date: March 20, 2014 (All day) - June 30, 2014 (All day)
Location: Hunt Institute

As with duets in music, this exhibition creates new, harmonious couplings of botanical art with items created between the 16th and 21st centuries from the Hunt Institute collections. Join us Thursday, 20 March 2014, 5–7 pm for an opening reception. At 5:30 pm Curator of Art Lugene B. Bruno will give a short introduction to the exhibition in the gallery.

Drawing on Nature: Flora and Fauna
Event Date: January 15, 2014 (All day) - April 1, 2014 (All day)
Location: Washington State Convention Center

Presented by The Guild of Natural Science Illustrators Northwest + The Pacific Northwest Botanical Artists

GNSI-Finger Lakes Marsh Madness Exhibit 2014
Event Date:January 1, 2014 (All day) - May 4, 2014 (All day)
Location: Cumming Nature Center
Rochester Museum & Science Center
6472 Gulick Road, Naples, NY 14512
(585) 374-6160

Upstate NY and the Adirondacks are host to many types of freshwater wetlands. The species of plants and animals supported by our marshes, swamps, bogs, and fens, is more than most people might imagine. In this exhibit, we celebrate the diversity and richness of the wetlands environment with a selection of some of our favorite species and wetlands habitats.

WORKSHOPS

Identifying Birds of the PNW
Event Date: February 15, 2014 - 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Location: Workshop with GNSI NW at the Slater Museum of Natural History and Titlow Beach
Cost: GNSI NW Members will pay $15.00 to enroll (Non-GNSI NW Members will pay $25 to enroll or $35 to enroll + become a member).
Presenter: Dennis Paulson, recently retired from being Director of the Slater Museum of Natural History, University of Puget Sound, has been a professional biologist and naturalist all of his adult life.

The workshop will present a variety of birds up close and personal, with Slater Museum specimens that can be examined and rendered into art. After lunch we will go out in the field to Titlow Beach to see what birds we can find.

Postcards From... Workshops Are Expanding!
Marjorie Leggitt’s popular Postcards From... plein-air workshops are expanding this season; here are the details...

2-Day Plein-air Watercolor Workshop, March 22, 2014- $360
4-Day BACK TO BASICS: Drawing with Confidence, Sept. 16, 2014 - $414
4-Day Aspen Resort  Advanced Plein-air  Workshop, Sept. 10, 2014 - $1,360
4-Day BACK TO BASICS: Drawing with Confidence, Sept. 16, 2014 - $414

Sonoran Desert Botanical Art Tour
Event Date: April 15, 2014 (All day) - April 20, 2014 (All day)
Cost: $99-159/lodging per room per night.

Spend up to six days and five nights experiencing springtime in the Southwest with nature illustrator Catherine Alexander. Visit scenic areas in the Sonoran Desert, tour botanical gardens and choose from among several optional activities.

Gardens and Villas of the Italian Lakes
Event Date: June 21, 2014 (All day) - June 30, 2014 (All day)
Cost: Cost is $5249.

"Gardens and Villas of the Italian Lakes" is a June tour to Italy offered by Gretchen Halpert in conjunction with Collette Tours and the Royal Horticultural Society.

FORUMS

Bartels Science Illustration Internship program 2014
(must be a logged in, GNSI member to view this Business Forum entry)
Reference Photographs

GROUPS

GNSI Great Lakes - Barbara Ann Papamarcos obituary
Greater Washington DC - Middleburg field trip - Feb 8th

--
Gail Guth
Guth Illustration & Design