Why? Because you're used to these words? I'm used to them too, and use them
unthinkingly, but I've always felt them to be jarring modern words.

If there are more period synonyms, don't we have the responsibility to
encourage their use to future generations rather simply clutching to terms
that hurt our ability to become more medieval because we "like" them?

Rhodri