This thread has been very interesting.  I wander what the period
connotation of "small" vs "child" was.  In the 35 years I have been in
the SCA it has continually evolved becoming more period in actual and
ambiance within the common language which everyone can understand.  With
modern phrases like "acting like a child", and "small minded" it would
be a mistake to change tradition to something no more period when
certain phrases have been adapted into SCA culture giving it some of the
ambiance we all seek to develop at an event.  Likewise it would be
better to adapt a change when it is found certain to be more period.
Cudos to those interested in such things to make us better.