It's funny this should come up because I got a wild hair and decided that I needed to research the coats of arms for the house of Plantagenet and discovered that each individual would have their own coats of arms until one of them became sovereign. This may only apply to royal families where you can't have everyone running around with the King's standard.

Usually each individual arms would be a variation on the House's Arms, but sometimes there would be a bastard who needed something a little more original, like a different field or bordure. Towards the end of the 14th century, individual variation seems to be more striking than typical and the arms get very, very, very busy.

Here's link. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_coats_of_arms_of_the_House_of_Plantagenet#House_of_Plantagenet

-Rosalye