Something on the outside usually helps, as it breaks the continuity of the
window.  We've used falcon silhouettes and see-through maple leaves, as
indicated above.  These are mostly effective but not entirely.  Chickadees
feed directly underneath the falcons, for example, and doves being chased
by accipiters kill themselves on windows with either.  The only sure
(almost sure?) thing is strands of something very obvious strung across the
window on the outside.  A screen, for example :).  Some have used colored
yarn, spaced to alert birds but able to be seen through from indoors.

Hummers usually only knock themselves out as they are so light weight.  I
retrieved a couple from the floor inside a birding lodge in Ecuador once.
They were fighting one another (if hummingbirds were the size of crows, it
wouldn't be safe to go into the woods) and flew through on open door and
into the window on the inside.  They recovered after a short while and one
tiny little jewel sat on my thumb for several minutes, even allowing me to
carefully stroke his nape.  Precious little beasts.

Best of luck,

On Mon, Mar 3, 2014 at 12:05 PM, Patricia Savage <[log in to unmask]>wrote:

>  I don't know if this is an option, but I don't wash my windows close to
> the feeders very often anymore and that has really cut down on the bird
> strikes. Maybe find a way to dirty them up?
>

> Cheers,
>
> Patricia Savage
>

> *Mayapple** Studio*
>
> 919-859-2789 (h), 919-438-6766 (m)
>
> www.psavageart.com
>
> Join me on Facebook
>

>  On 3/3/14 11:53 AM, Chris Gralapp wrote:
>
> I have a most distressing problem--I just installed a big, brand new bay
> window, and have had three hummingbirds hit it.  I think it reflects the
> sky and the mountains, and the mirror effect deceives the little guys to
> fly into it.  I moved my feeder about ten feet away, to keep them on the
> other side of the yard, if possible, but they still hit the window.  It's
> just heartbreaking.
>
> I know there are decals for deterring bird strikes--any suggestions for
> the most effective?
>
> Chris
>

> --
>
> Chris Gralapp, MA, CMI