Linda:  Oh, *that's* the problem!  My monitor *is* calibrated :).  A
recently purchased Dell 24 inch LCD.

Lynette:  I have older work, too, which is sometimes quite a problem.
These were recorded on film, which adds another layer of corrections.  I
added the small white border around the black because the black borders
alone don't always show clearly on line.  Noticed this first with
illustrations for books, and I just carried the idea over to anything that
needs a black border to begin with.

Lynette:  you downloaded an image?  Oh, dear.  I never thought to check.
It would seem unnecessary in a Squarespace template that adapts to tablets
and cell phones.  Argh!  Maybe I can add one in "Save for Web" function and
make it easy.  Sigh 2.

Ann:  I should actually read the instruction to my Epsen V500.  Maybe
there's a background color substitution there as well :).  Of course, one
device's "white" can be another's pale pink or gray.

Thank you all for looking !