Bruce,

I was also struggling with scanning white backgrounds just this morning.
I'm using an Epson V550 and on darker pieces I use the histogram tool and
just cut out a bit of the white end of the spectrum to clean up the white
background. But it doesn't work so well on images with a lot of light
delicate colors. Sigh ....

Lore

On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 2:14 PM, Bruce Bartrug <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Linda:  Oh, *that's* the problem!  My monitor *is* calibrated :).  A
> recently purchased Dell 24 inch LCD.
>
> Lynette:  I have older work, too, which is sometimes quite a problem.
> These were recorded on film, which adds another layer of corrections.  I
> added the small white border around the black because the black borders
> alone don't always show clearly on line.  Noticed this first with
> illustrations for books, and I just carried the idea over to anything that
> needs a black border to begin with.
>
> Lynette:  you downloaded an image?  Oh, dear.  I never thought to check.
> It would seem unnecessary in a Squarespace template that adapts to tablets
> and cell phones.  Argh!  Maybe I can add one in "Save for Web" function and
> make it easy.  Sigh 2.
>
> Ann:  I should actually read the instruction to my Epsen V500.  Maybe
> there's a background color substitution there as well :).  Of course, one
> device's "white" can be another's pale pink or gray.
>
> Thank you all for looking !

> On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 11:48 AM, Lynette Cook <[log in to unmask]>wrote:
>
>> I can verify it too now: they are white. I should have thought of this
>> first. I grabbed your vireo image, opened it in Photoshop, then took my
>> eyedropper tool to see what value the background has. It reads 255
>> everywhere I check. You can't get whiter than that!
>>
>> Lynette

> instructions at

*Lore Ruttan, *Ph.D.

Lore Ruttan Illustration <http://www.loreruttanillustration.com>