Interesting use of adjustment layers, Tiffany.  I'll have to try your
method to see exactly how it works. And I know what you mean about trying
to adjust, or copy and paste, an adjustment layer instead of the image way
down below.  Wish I had a buck for every time I did that :).

Curves is one of the most versatile adjustments, especially in layers, that
is available on Photoshop.  On photos I sometimes have two or three curves
layers, especially when converting a photo to monochrome (black/white).
The first is to micro adjust the contrast in color (one can make more than
one contrast adjustment along a curves line), then a black/white adjustment
layer, then a second curves to set black and white points and modify the
overall contrast if needed.  And here's where the Color Selection can often
help.  For instance if there's a dark area where I would like a bit more
contrast, I'll select that area with color selection, modify the selection
if necessary, then add a curves layer to adjust *only* that selection.
Here's a couple examples of that last process, photos in Iceland of dark
lava taken on a gray days -- talk about needing a boost in contrast.

http://bbartrug.zenfolio.com/p534029824/h395e06fd#h395e06fd

http://bbartrug.zenfolio.com/p534029824/h395e06fd#h817483

When I use a Wacom tablet to make erasures, I use the pressure sensitive
eraser brush with a hard edge.  That way one can position the eraser
carefully before pressing to activate the erasure.

When using "stop" points on a curves layer to restrict the adjustment to a
certain value range, it helps to put two points close together on both
ends.  That stops the layer from solarizing when making the necessary
contrast correction within the selected range.

I don't think anyone knows everything about Pshop, Tiffany.  Especially
when there's 4 or 5 ways to arrive at the same result.

Cheers,