A trick I've used is that I give them work for hire, and then ask that they
write back into the contract that I can claim authorship and use assets
from that image or animation in other projects-- say things like "this is
why I can charge such a low rate" even though you're charging a sensible
amount. Most of them only do work-for-hire because their lawyers tell them
to, but you can negotiate yourself something that is WFH by name only if
you're sly.

Cameron

On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 4:28 PM, Linda Feltner <[log in to unmask]>wrote:

> I have used 3X the quoted price. Usually they see this and decide they
> don't need to own the work and will negotiate for a particular usage.
> Sometimes they purchase it.
>
> Hope this helps.
> Linda
> _____________________
> Linda M. Feltner Artist, LLC
> P.O. Box 325
> Hereford, AZ 85615
> (520) 803-0538
> www.lindafeltner.com
>

> On Mar 11, 2014, at 12:49 PM, Karen Ackoff wrote:
>
> I know the ramifications of work-for-hire. What I was wondering is... is
> there a standard amount for which the price of a job is increased, if it is
> work-for-hire? Let's just say something was priced at $100. Would the price
> be doubled? tripled? This is not a popular-type of piece; it has a very
> specific use.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Karen

> instructions at