Geoff,

You can do the same thing in Photoshop by using the white dropper on a
curves adjustment layer.  Clicking that dropper on any value sets that
value to 255.  Karen Ackoff mentioned this earlier in this thread.

Some use white and black and midtone droppers to set the general range and
contrast slope in photos.  I've always felt that trying to estimate the
"midtone" gray is haphazard at best.  Too, looking at the histogram in a
curves layer, one can easily find the black and white limits of the image
just by sliding either end of the curves line up to that particular limit.
A move that may or may not be advantageous to the appearance of the image
in question.  I have, however, occasionally used the black and white
droppers when converting RGB images to B/W.  For the most part I like to
keep as many options open when processing any image, photo or artwork,
because they're all different to begin with.

On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 6:15 PM, Geoff Thompson
<[log in to unmask]>wrote:

> In Lightroom you can also click on a background paper to make it white. I
> had to do this when photographing watercolours for a kids' book
> illustration
> that had been done on very yellow paper. The designer wanted pure colours.
> So I was able to deliver rich depth of colour with a pure white background.
> http://www.shop.qm.qld.gov.au/default/happy-birthday-muttaburrasaurus.html
>
> http://www.shop.qm.qld.gov.au/default/where-s-your-teddy-muttaburrasaurus.ht
> ml
> Cheers,