You should find the information you need here:  http://www.flap.org/

The problem is that the bird is quite able to see glass, BUT, it focused not
on the glass, but on the reflection.  This is analogous to looking into a
mirror out of doors and focusing on the reflection of the sky in the
background.  You can't focus on two widely separated plains at the same
time, so if you can clearly see the sky, distant trees and so on in the
mirror, you cannot possibly see the surface of the mirror, and vice versa.

So the trick is to place objects on the surface that, when the bird in
motion focuses on, gives him or her a chance to see the glass surface.  That
is why, when you approach an all glass door or wall, you usually see, at eye
level, little stickers or imbedded material, that forces you to focus as you
approach, on the same plain (or focus to the same distance) that the glass
is, and you see the glass and don't walk through it (in this case you may
not be focused on the reflection so much as where you want to go beyond the
glass.but it's the same optical principle.

There has been a lot of research to show that to work effectively the decals
(and WHAT they are does not matter) must be placed pretty close together.  I
am pretty sure that website has the information.

Barry

Barry Kent MacKay

Bird Artist, Illustrator

Studio: (905)-472-9731