On the site that Barry sent http://www.flap.org/ , I discovered that it is best to keep feeders very close to the house, rather than far away--it sounds counter-intuitive, but the birds can't generate much momentum as they depart the feeder, and won't hit hard.  On the other hand I guess that as they approach the feeder, they are focusing more on the feeder itself, and not on the 'sky' in the window.

The above-mentioned site sells a bird saving screen of cords dangling 10 cm apart, in a vertical arrangement.  So for $30, I will get a custom designed crash diverter!  I can't wait to get it up there.

Thanks Barry for the link--apparently window crashes are a big problem--we should all think about this.

Chris