I'll be interested to hear what others say about this, as I've had
similar problems with some older work I considered putting online. The
only way I resolved the issue was to do exactly what you have done:
use some rather complex masking to remove the area around the image
and fill it with white. That's because the paper I used is not 100%
white, and it also has texture that creates nuanced color. And I've
also found that my scanner, while very good, has subtle areas of light
and dark: the brightness over the bed isn't completely even. I
wouldn't have known this if I hadn't scanned a piece of white paper,
adjusted the levels to exaggerate lights and darks, and then looked at
the result.

As far as your images go, Bruce, I too cannot tell if I am seeing pure
white or whether there is a subtle tonality. Part of this is because
of the line rule around your images and I cannot compare the "whites"
side-by-side without the rule interfering visually. Also, I think the
low web resolution affects my perception too and I'd need to see a
higher res to be certain. I can imagine I am seeing what you are
seeing - some tints or subtle paper texture - but I simply am not
sure. All this said, I think what I see looks fine and if those
subtleties are there I think they are unimportant and not worth
worrying about. My 2 cents.

Lynette
--
Ms. Lynette R. Cook, Artist/Illustrator