I've known folks to use falcon silhouette decals (some maple-leaf decals might help break up the reflection), but one of the best home-made remedies for lots of birds is ribbons. Plain ol silver or gold ribbons (so I guess they are somewhat metallic). Friends have stretched them up and down on the inside of the window and it really does deter the birds. I know it will mess up the clean look of a nice bay window. but the birds are probalbly seeing the reflection, as you suggested.

I hope you can paint/sketch/draw/photo those hummers before they go to a museum or educational facility, or are otherwise buried.

Very best,
Linda
Linda M. Feltner Artist, LLC
P.O. Box 325