Hi Chris:
Well they were shiny, so I guess either metallic or glossy. I think white may even work, but it disrupts the image, making them think the space is not as broad as might be implied by the reflection. And it might give them some depth perception because they are taped on the inside of the glass, so it shows up but it has depth. I've been thinking of trying it this spring on my large studio windows. My friends who do use this say it works for all sorts of birds, they put it on a sliding glass door on their patio, and they say "no more splats".

good luck!
Linda
Linda M. Feltner Artist, LLC
P.O. Box 325