A trick I've used is that I give them work for hire, and then ask that they write back into the contract that I can claim authorship and use assets from that image or animation in other projects-- say things like "this is why I can charge such a low rate" even though you're charging a sensible amount. Most of them only do work-for-hire because their lawyers tell them to, but you can negotiate yourself something that is WFH by name only if you're sly.

Cameron