Geoff,

You can do the same thing in Photoshop by using the white dropper on a curves adjustment layer.  Clicking that dropper on any value sets that value to 255.  Karen Ackoff mentioned this earlier in this thread.

Some use white and black and midtone droppers to set the general range and contrast slope in photos.  I've always felt that trying to estimate the "midtone" gray is haphazard at best.  Too, looking at the histogram in a curves layer, one can easily find the black and white limits of the image just by sliding either end of the curves line up to that particular limit.  A move that may or may not be advantageous to the appearance of the image in question.  I have, however, occasionally used the black and white droppers when converting RGB images to B/W.  For the most part I like to keep as many options open when processing any image, photo or artwork, because they're all different to begin with.