Hello Karthik,

A student just pointed out that I had several copies of Monies & Societies on my shelf on Friday.  If you have trouble locating a copy, let me know.

Eric Hake

On 4/7/2014 11:09 AM, Daniel Underwood wrote:

Also see Neale, Monies and Societies.  It’s an interesting read of much general application.

From: AFEEMAIL Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Wray, Randall
Sent: Sunday, April 06, 2014 6:24 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Institutionalist perspective on Money

Karthik: you might look at Modern Money Theory, which integrates a large number of heterodox approaches to money, including institutionalist perspectives. It also details the current operational procedures adopted in a number of countries that coordinate activities of central banks and treasuries. See work by Stephanie Bell/Kelton and Scott Fullwiler. It begins with the institutionalist view of money as an institution—not a “thing”; the best work on that is by Geoff Ingham. MMT is, I think, the only approach to currency that is fully consistent with the views of the institutionalst Fagg Foster, who claimed that whatever is technically feasible is financially affordable. It also stresses stock-flow consistency (Godley) as well as the potential for instability in the financial sector. And it has incorporated the history of money—such as we know it—into the analysis.