Pretty sad stuff. Krugman has been losing the debates against heterodox economists for years. Here's an overview (I particularly recommend checking out the post I wrote on his debate with Galbraith in the mid-1990s):

http://fixingtheeconomists.wordpress.com/2014/04/26/the-chosen-ones-krugmans-critique-of-the-critics/

On Sat, Apr 26, 2014 at 4:23 AM, Dell Champlin <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Thanks, Stephanie for the link to Galbraith's essay.

Krugman does make a good point, when he notes that expansionary austerity and other weird notions are not even consistent with mainstream macro.  He just calls them bad ideas and the economists who promote them bad economists.  What he misses completely is that denial, lying to oneself, and the frequent renaming of bad and/or stupid behavior with high fallutin' terms like entrepreneurial, job creating, fiscally responsible, etc. is also part of mainstream Economics.  In short, Krugman, brilliant as he is, misses the power of ideology to produce the very outcomes he condemns.

Dell

Sent from my iPad