I don't think you are correct stating that the tokens as described were being treated as currency.  The were being treated as the same as any paper "1 admission free", i.e. a coupon.

Coupons are not currency, and the fact that person was not given the right to exchange the token for cash, nor could the token be taken to a vendor and have the vendor required to honor it.

As for the rule on 36, then in general, the SCA can never spend *any* money unless it's to a not-for-profit, because in general, any business owner will make a profit, which would surely be a benefit.

JP

Qui mieux fait, mieux vault.