You may have to look hard for them, but the Casca series was fascinating. It is historical fiction revolving around the life of the roman soldier who pierced Christ's side with the lance. I think only the first three books (of 19) cover the time frame you seek, but they were very enjoyable to read.  They were written by Barry Sadler. Came out in the mid 70s to the mid 80s.

Franz