I can't attend (I'm hosting a bridal shower that day), but I will supply
Shrewsbury cakes to be handed out.

--Gwyneth

From: Historical Recreation in Mag Mor [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of Eric & Opal Doerr
Sent: Tuesday, April 01, 2014 10:01 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [MAGMOR] Demo on April 26 in Elmwood

Hello, Mag Mor folk!
CC: Lonely Tower, too

As many of you know, Mag Mor has a demo scheduled for Saturday, April 26th,
in Elmwood, NE, from 10 am to 2 pm.  Elmwood is about half an hour east of
Lincoln on O S/Hwy 34, and just a bit north on Hwy 1.  I think there is or
will be construction on Hwy 34 that may make the trip a few minutes more.
The town/library/NE Humanities Council has put together a Shakespeare
Festival, with actors, singers, jugglers, etc.  Their concept is to create a
street scene of Shakespeare's time.

To coordinate the demo, I need to know who can participate, so please let me
know by Thursday evening (Apr 3rd) if you can attend. So far, at a meeting
about a month ago, Natalya, Katerine, Carlos & Isabeau, Ettionete [?] and
Owain thought they'd be able to attend, but I'd appreciate confirmation of
that since life tends to happen over a month's time! We'd certainly need
more people than just those six anyway!

If you can attend, what you can demonstrate?   I've told Carrie Nunez, the
contact, that there are some things I'm pretty sure of:

*	Calligraphy of names (Isabeau, Isadora)
*	Food samples (medieval gingerbrede and Shrewsbury cakes - pre-baked,
small samples wrapped, maybe young people could "peddle?"
*	Weaving (Isadora can bring rigid-heddle loom for people to play on,
can someone bring a card-weaving project?)
*	Combat:  either live steel combat -- if enough steel combatants are
available -- or rattan weapon combat (easier to find the people, but it's
earlier in time period, so doesn't fit as well with the festival theme) --
maybe both? REALLY depends on who is available!!  We'll also need an emcee,
and probably constables.
*	Hand sewing, embroidery (Katerine?)
*	Camera Obscura (Natalya, could you bring it?)
*	We will also be supplying the garb for the photographer....
(Ettionete assisting there?) DO WE NEED TO SUPPLEMENT WITH LOANED GEAR FROM
THE GROUP? SHIRTS? HATS? ACCESSORIES/GEAR?

Some things that we probably will have:

*	Spinning (making yarn/thread) -- depends on who can attend
*	"Street bardic" -- a strolling person to sing and/or tell stories to
small groups of 2 or 3  -- maybe Ingeborg per discussion at meeting two
weeks ago?

And some things that we may possibly have:

*	Hammer Dulcimer player (if Volkmar doesn't go to Melon Wars)
*	Dancing (if Omaha SCA group wants to help -- although LT aid for JAV
on May 17 is a much higher priority!)
*	Scroll painting -- maybe Carlos?
*	Hand-knotted carpet-making -- maybe Natalya?  Or, alternatively,
whatever Natalya would like to demo!

I told Carrie we can bring a 15 x 20 sunshade (V & I's), any tables that we
need (probably V & I's), list ropes (from storage?), and our own
chairs/stools and banners.

I've asked about the availability of lunch at the festival or if we need to
bring our own.  I will share her reply.

I will also see how early we can set up. How does 8:00 am sound for one
sunshade, a list field, tables & demo gear, and maybe a tent to store
fighter gear?  We've got to be completely ready by 10 am....

Oh, and for those who can participate, please try to wear later period garb
if you have some available.  Shakespeare is definitely late SCA!

-- Isadora