An excellent point, Barbara.  There's the oft-forgotten "fire" option as
well.  Since I no longer have a day job, I take one of my portable hard
drives to a safe-deposit box at a local bank, and switch with the other
portable hard drive once every couple months.  Another option is simply to
put a duplicate drive in your car......unless you park your car in a garage
attached to your (not fire-proff) house.

External hard drives are so cheap today, it's senseless not to have a
duplicate in a safe place.