Marj, in my humble opinion, having to use subscription-based software (i.e.
Creative Cloud) is inevitable. You could postpone it for a little while if
you like, but I'm presuming that eventually a subscription will be the only
option. I think software by monthly subscription is actually a great idea
because I don't like to pay for upgrades which mean that I skip versions
which leads to a steeper learning curve when I finally do upgrade.
It's the *amount
*of Adobe's monthly fee that I find frustrating.

---
*Emily S. Damstra*
natural science illustration
Waterloo, Ontario